The Santa Fe Brewing Co. is New Mexico’s oldest and largest brewery. We currently distribute our products in ten states and have been experiencing rapid growth. We are on track to brew over 20,000 BBLs of beer in 2016 and are currently planning a large expansion at our facility in addition to opening up a new tap room in Albuquerque. We are looking to add a marketing savvy, creative and enthusiastic new member to our team.
A brewer at Santa Fe Brewing Co. is responsible for operating the brewhouse and related equipment as necessary to take a batch from raw ingredients to fermenting beer, per the existing Standard Operating Procedures. As a part of a quickly growing production facility, a brewer must also be constantly seeking ways to improve speed, efficiency and safety. We are also continuously working to develop new products, so a brewer is expected to research and develop ideas and recipes for new beers to produce. While we strive to maintain a fun and friendly environment, brewers must also set the tone with a high level of professional conduct and attitude.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Operate four-vessel brew house, including milling, mashing, lautering, boiling, hop additions, whirlpool, wort cooling and knockout.
- CIP of brew house.
- Complete necessary paperwork for all brewing activities.
- Communicate in-process information to subsequent brewer at shift change.
- Maintain clean, safe, and orderly work areas.
- Basic light mechanical repairs to brewing equipment when necessary.
- Assist in improving brewhouse procedures.
- Assist in developing new beers for release.
- Work effectively with the lead brewer and cellarmen to meet production needs.
- Operate forklift and other heavy machinery.
- Multitask and manage time in a fast-paced environment.
- Communicate well, both written and verbal.
- Troubleshoot and solve equipment problems.
- Work in a team environment.
- Work independently with minimal direct supervision.
- Maintain professionalism in a high-stress environment.
- High school diploma (or GED or High School Equivalence Certificate). College degree preferred.
- Some experience in brewing and fermentation preferred
- Flexible schedule and ability to work nights for some months out of the year.
Physical Requirements and Environmental Conditions
- Able to stand for long periods of time (up to 8-10 hours per day).
- Able to lift materials up to 55 lbs. repeatedly.
- Able to work in wet, tight or cramped spaces.
- Able to work in an environment with high noise levels.
- Able to work with hazardous chemicals.
- Able to wear required Personal Protective Equipment (boots, gloves, apron, eye protection, etc.)
- Exposure to hot fluids.
- Exposure to live steam.
- Exposure to pressurized vessels and transfer lines.
- Exposure to particulate atmospheres.
- Exposure to extremely variable temperature levels.
- Wet, slippery floors.
- Wet clothing.
- Exposure to carbon dioxide.
- Performing job with and around moving machinery.
- Reports to the Brewing Manager
- Compensation: Salary DOE, benefits include paid time off, holidays, 401k